Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mano Singham

Hello and Happy Saturday!

I wish to thank Recovering Agnostic for his wonderful interview. I very much enjoyed reading your answers and I thank you so much for sharing with us!

Today we have a new interview so please welcome Mano Singham. Mano is an Atheist and I know you will enjoy his interview as well!

Here Is Mano Singham's Introduction:


I am a theoretical physicist, originally from Sri Lanka. I have interests in many areas such as science, atheism, religion, history and philosophy of science, politics, and human rights. I am currently director of the teaching center at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. I am the author of three books: God vs. Darwin: The War Between Evolution and Creationism in the Classroom (2009), The Achievement Gap in US Education: Canaries in the Mine (2005), and Quest for Truth: Scientific Progress and Religious Beliefs (2000)

My blog is at
http://freethoughtblogs.com/singham

1) What religion do you practice?

None. I am an atheist.

2) Are you a convert/revert or were you raised within this religion? If you converted, what did you need to do to convert? And what did you practice prior to converting?

I used to be a Christian in the Methodist Church denomination

3) Within your religion are there degrees of observance (ie. Orthodox,conservative, moderate, liberal)? What are the defining differences between the degrees of observance?

N/A

4) Within your religion what degree of observance are you ((ie. Orthodox,conservative, moderate, liberal) ? Why did you choose this degree of observance?

N/A

5) What is the Afterlife within your religion? For example: what happens when a person dies? Are there places for reward/punishment? (such as a Heaven/Hell concept)

I don't believe in an afterlife

6) In your opinion, does everyone make it into heaven/paradise? If they do not, why?

N/A

7) What makes your religion a good fit for you?

N/A

8) What are your holy days and what do you do to celebrate them?

None

9) Do you consider people of other faiths to be your friends?

Yes.

10) Would you ever join people of another faith to celebrate one of their holy days? Please explain why?

Sure I do, if they invite me. I do it because they invite me as an act of friendship and I respond similarly.

11) What are your thoughts on the burka, and Shariah Law?

I think these practices, like all religious rules about dress, food, and behavior, are absurd.

12) Are women allowed to hold religious office (priest, minister, rabbi, iman etc) in your religion and how do you feel about it?

N/A

13) Does your place of worship segregate? If yes, how does this make you feel?

N/A

14) How much does your religion affect your daily life and how much thought do you give it when making a decision? Does it affect in any way your decision on abortion, gay marriage, etc?

N/A

15) How would you react/feel if your child wished to marry outside your religion?

Who my children marry is up to them. As long as their spouses' religious practices do not infringe on their rights as human beings, it would not bother me.

16) In your opinion, if someone is not of your faith, will they go to hell?

I don't believe in hell

17) Who do you think is not a practicing ----- in your religion and why? ie who in the public domain claims to speak for your religion? Do you agree with them or not?

N/A

18) Have you ever been the target of a hate crime? Please explain.

No

19) Do you ever feel like your religion devalues you?

N/A

20) Does your religion give you peace of mind?

N/A

21) Do you believe in reincarnation? Why or why not?

No. I have never heard of any convincing evidence that it happens

No comments:

Post a Comment